Thursday, July 27, 2017

Physical Therapy and exhaustion and taking a break~~~

Hello Dear Readers,

I can tell you this, what ever you do, do not break a leg or an ankle.  

I've been told it will take at least another 6 months or more for full healing, and at least 3 to 6 months for physical therapy to have full range of motion and strength in those bones.

I had my physical therapy session today, one of many, and I am exhausted, the good thing is my psychical therapist is cute and a real sweet-heart but he says I've got to do "this work" to not be crippled up and to have full range of motion.

Sometimes doing the simplest thing can be difficult,  but there is in "the gym" people with missing limbs learning how to walk,  or move their hands.  One fellow lost both his legs, but he doesn't want to be in a wheel chair, if at all possible,  he is willing to learn to walk with artificial limbs, more power to him.

So for me it's trying to master standing on one leg for 8 seconds, I've made it to 5.  It's just trying to learn my "center".  

And I've discovered I can do things better now than before.  But it's being able to walk around without having any fear of falling again.  My fear is my front porch steps, my therapist and I talked about it,  and he came out to my house and discovered that the tread is smaller than normal, based on what was permitted 50 years ago, now step treads are wider in depth, so for that he said it's o.k. to use the cane for balance.

The ankle does throb from time to time, and all I can do is ice it or take Alive if the throbbing is too bad,  but it's the screws in the bones, in talking to the doctor it seems that I sort of smashed the smaller ankle bones out of shape besides breaking the fibula and that is why the screws are there.   And they will never be removed.   So with the cold and over excersion it will throb like arthritis, but that is part of the new paradime, I just have to get use to it. 

I did keep as a "good luck" charm, one of the metal staples that the surgeons used as stitches to hold everything together, I kept it when they removed them, I'm going to have it put in clear acrylic as a tear drop pendant.   My Doctor thinks I'm weird, my young family members think its cool.

I've been answering questions mostly of late, but I need to take a little break, I'm having family members visiting over this weekend they are arriving later this evening so I will not be able to respond to any questions or comments.

I ask that you be patient I will return.

Bright Blessings,
Ms. Q




4 comments:

  1. Why all the accidents? Hope not a bad luck streak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      This is Ms. Q’s niece, she’s not having a bad luck streak, she is just over 80 years old and is having the usual problems that most elderly people have, heart troubles, cataracts, arthritis, breaking an ankle bone (which I and the rest of the family hope will never happen again).

      She did break her ankle back in March the required surgery and was in different ankle casts for over 12 weeks, now she is having physical therapy to build up range of motion and to get her balance and movement back so she is not wheelchair dependent.

      The physical therapy is every week and she has to do a series of exercises every day to build up the atrophied muscles from the enforced bed rest.

      The last session was intense for her but satisfactory, we were told she’ll be having it for at least the next 3 to 6 months depending upon her progress.

      So she does get tired and needs to rest as well as having friends come by and different family members come and visit for a few days, she and her husband are planning on taking a little vacation in October if her Doctor approves.

      She is simply a busy, elderly person, who wants to live life to its fullest in spite of set-backs and problems that old age causes.

      And she wants to let people know through her blog if she will be away from her computer for a period of time which would cause delays in answering questions.

      In some cases I’ll tell her about some, or I’ll do an explanation reply like this one.

      Right now we have family staying over and then later she and the family members are going to go to an all-day baby shower to celebrate another great-grandniece that will be coming into the world in 2 months. And lots of other family and friends will be there.

      So definitely not a bad luck streak. Just the usual problems of old age but she is happy, feisty and enjoying life.

      In Ms. Q’s words---
      Bright Blessings to You.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry if rude. Just concerned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      This is Ms. Q's niece.

      No you were not rude, just concerned, perfectly understandable.

      Many readers to her blog are not aware of her age and medical problems.

      That's why she does postings to let everyone know why she's not responding.

      Right now she's resting, it was a fun Baby Shower, a lot of family members.

      Thank You for your concern.

      Bright Blessings to you.

      Delete